Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Iboo Diet...

For the past nearly 2 months ive been on a mission to lose some lbs.

It all started 2 summers ago in Pakistan at my bro's wedding. I was all over the ghetto areas of Karachi giving out invitations and it was like a brazzillion degrees outside. Naturally, I would ask for water at each house I would visit and the request would be accompanied by the question 'Ye pani bottle ka hai?'

Because if it isnt bottled water, then your in for some trouble as the water comes out of the pipes with a hint of brown.

So at like the third house i get some water which supposed to be bottled, and it has roohafza mixed in it. I drink about half the glass before being told that it actually is not bottled water it is from the tap.

Yippee!

Soon thereafter came problem after problem with my digestive tract that has now led me being diagnosed with a condition.

But khayr, its not that big a deal that I got some bug, the issue is that I weighed about 185 when i came back from Pakistan and within about 3 weeks ballooned up to 210. I couldnt exercize like I used to because of my condition so I weighed over 200 up until 2 months ago...when I began the Iboo diet.

Now the Iboo diet is not some extraordinary weight loss break through or something. I had just been looking at how people do all these diets that are in some cases calling for opposite things to be done to lose weight, and for the most part they are all working.

Then I looked at the Quran and Sunnah for evidences on how a muslim is to treat food and I almost feel like I made some illegitimate ijtihad on how a muslim is supposed to eat.

The first thing I noticed was that there was one thing all these diet plans have in common: calling for discipline.

Each diet was telling a person to discipline their diet in a particular way and to be conscious of what kind of food they are eating. This in fact is what Allah swt tells us to do as well in the Quran when He swt says :

2:168 O ye people! Eat of what is on earth, Lawful and good; and do not follow the footsteps of the evil one, for he is to you an avowed enemy.

and

2:172 O ye who believe! Eat of the good things that We have provided for you, and be grateful to Allah, if it is Him ye worship.

So discipline is called for by Allah swt concerning our diet.

Also there is the famous hadith of the Prophet PBUH about how he would seperate his stomach into thirds with 1 being food, 1 being water, and 1 being air.

Another reflection I had was that of the constant mention of food in the descriptions of Jannah. We are promised all these things dealing with food in Paradise yet we go around and indulge in food here whenever we get the opportunity. We're all on the see-food diet. We see it and we eat it. But if Allah swt has promised us the opportunity to indulge in food in Jannah, then to me that means that I should not indulge in food here and this was the way that the Prophet PBUH also lived. Its narrated that he went months on just water and dates. The best man to ever walk the earth lived such a humble life subhan Allah.

So back to the diet.

After reading and reflecting about stuff I decided that instead of having someone else tell me what to cut out of my diet, i was going to cut out what I indulge in.