Monday, April 17, 2006

The Iboo Ring...

So before I continue with this entry everyone has to recognize the risk I am taking to post pictures of the Iboo Ring.

Since its creation, it has been nazzared numerous times by numerous individuals and therefore is constantly under the threat of being lost scratched or stolen.

So now lets get into the history of the Iboo Ring.

It was circa summer '99 and my mamoo was getting married in Pakistan. We could afford 3 tickets so I decided to let my bro sis and mom go and I would stay home with my pops.

So after the wedding my mother calls me and asks me if I want her to bring me anything. I had this idea in my head for a ring that said Iboo on it so I described it to my mother, and asked her to have it made in silver. She didnt know my ring size so she just guesstimated and alhumdulillah she was pretty darn close.

She complied, and so the Iboo ring was born.

Now this ring has gone through some craaaaazy stuff in its lifetime.

I was at work one day and walked into the stock room to look for a vaccuum. As I mentioned earlier the ring is not exactly my size as its big enough for me to spin around on my finger (which I do as a nervous habit btw). So I walk into the stock room and the ring flies off my finger as I reach to grab a box. The ring bounces..and bounces...and bounces right into the crack between the stock elevator shaft and the floor. It was just sitting there, almost floating. One of my boys and I are the only ones there and we are just in shock of the impossibility of what has just happened. So I creep over towards my ring and alas, someone from the floor below decides to call the elevator, the door shifts, and my ring falls all the way down the shaft with my outstretched hand only inches from grabbing it. I yelled out a theatrical 'NOOOOOO!' as I witnessed it fall down and clank at the bottom.

I then spoke to the manager and told her to get someone down there to get it expecting to hear an evil Mr. India Mugambo laugh, but instead she told me that the elevator maintenance crew would be coming in a couple of weeks and they would get it out for me...and they did walhumdulillah.

This is when I began speculation of someone nazzaring my ring, but I didnt think anything of it. But I should have...

I was at Jummah at my local masjid, and this brother walks up to me after the khutbah and notices my ring.

'I WISH I had a ring like that'

Thats when I labelled the bro Nazzar Ali Khan and ran home fearing my ring was in for it again, and it was.

Almost a couple hours later I realize that my ring is missing. I am super blown and I tear the house apart. I turn my pockets inside out and my room upside down but no sign of the ring. I then read the dua you say when you lose something:

Ya mujamma an naas, al yawma larayba fee, jamma baynee wa baynal Iboo Ring.

"O gatherer of mankind on the day in which there is no doubt, gather me with the Iboo Ring."

Subhan Allah, right then I reached into my pocket and it was in my pocket. There is no way it was there before I made the dua because i had put the pockets inside out, yet after I made the dua it just appeared in my pocket.

I had become a bit paranoid to the hassad on my ring after this to say the least.

But it didnt stop there.

I was visiting the Uni that I actually attend now and we were in the musallah making salaah. After salaah we walk out and someone said something about my ring. I was actually hiding behind a wall waiting for a brother to walk by so that I could tackle em (guy stuff) and as I tackled him my ring went flying off of my finger. It didnt fly too far from what I noticed so all the brothers and sisters who were there all got together with me and we searched for it. Almost 15 minutes later, and after I even went through the trash cans that were adjacent to the area, everyone gave up. I made the dua again, and began to walk to the exit. Almost 50+ feet from the place where I initially tackled the bro was my ring, sitting on the edge of a sofa almost as if someone placed it there.

Hassad is real brothers and sisters, and my ring is a proof of that.

Today, the ring is still on my finger walhumdulillah and serves multiple purposes. I wear it on my right ring finger of course, but when I go to conferences or gatherings where my mom knows there are gonna be single sisters, she tells me to turn the ring around and wear it on my left hand because it looks like a wedding band when I do that. Obviously my mom is saying that just to make me feel better about myself :)

So that is the story of the Iboo Ring, be sure to recite surah naas and blow on the picture of my ring to ensure its safety...jk