Monday, April 10, 2006

Long Engagements...

I hate when you talk to someone and they try to convince you that the only way a marriage can be successful if it is done in a particular idealistic cookie cutter format. As if everyone has the same situation in their life, and everyone has the same goals for their immediate future.

With that said, I have never been a fan of long engagements. Some of my friends were engaged for more than 3 to 4 years, and all I see happening from something like that is fitnah fitnah fitnah.

But now I look at my situation, and how im 23 years old now (my bro was engaged at 19 and married at 22, now has a daughter at 24) and how i probably have about 3 semesters worth of classes left, and how it might be time to have my parents start getting out there and finding me a wife.

But what do I have to offer?

I know that when I finish school insha Allah, I should not have a problem getting a decent job, but that would be in at least 2 years, so what do I tell a parent of a girl if I am to talk to them like this summer?

"Salaamu alaykum Uncle...well...I am still in school with 2 jobs to pay tuition...I live in the basement with my parents and I drive a car that is gonna probably fall apart in a year. Can I marry your daughter...please?"

I feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place. The rock being my current situation which is that of everyone around me getting married and not being around, and the hard place being trying to get something set up myself when I have little to nothing to impress someone's Wali.

Maybe the answer is to have my parents set something up this summer with maybe spreading the nikaah and waleema/ruksatti over 2 years?

Uncertainty sucks...