Sunday, March 26, 2006

Saturday School Moments...

So my Saturday school kids are absolutely nuts.

The younger ones have seen Gandaghee so they think im a movie star while my older class thinks im Michael Vick because I play football with em during recess and I DESTROY the poor 9-12 year olds.

So today im teaching my younger kids salaah, fara'id of the salaah, manners in salaah when praying in congregation, that sort of thing.

So as soon as I start talking about the manners in jamaa' the kids start blurting things out from Gandaghee.

"Remember brother Iboo when you had those glasses on and were like 'ameeeeEEEEEEEn'"
"You know thats wrong, right?"
"Yeah brother Iboo, we know thats wrong."
"Good"

Then we get to rukoo'

"Brother Iboo, the back has to be at a 90 degree angle. That was in Gandaghee"
"Yeah Abdul Wadood, very good!"
"Yeah brother Iboo, and also you shouldnt look through your legs because some people do that and your not supposed to do that"

This went on for a while with kids just blurting things out and subhan Allah, for one of the few times I was actually proud of the movie and grateful for making it as it was beneficial for so many youths. These kids actually watched it and gained from it!

Is there a better feeling than having your duas answered?

Rabbana 'alayka tawakkalna, wa ilayka anab'na wa ilaykal maseer.

Then my older kids and I were having a discussion about sincerity in intention being the ultimate when it comes to deeds. I told them about how even the Hijrah, such a huge and great deed in the account of the muhajiroon could have been degraded to a low level because of the intention of someone not being solely for Allah swt.

The kids kind of got it but it seemed like they were a bit confused, but subhan Allah, Allah inspired me somehow to come up with an analogy that they would understand clearly.

I told them to think of our good account as a metal gate suspended in the air above us, our deeds as balloons, and our breath as helium. I told them to imagine that our good deeds, as we do them, is like we are blowing up the balloon. Then, if the deed is sincere we will tie the balloon up and then let it go and it will catch on the gate suspended in the air where the rest of our good deeds are waiting. Then a deed which is not done sincerely, I told them to imagine this deed as a balloon which has been filled up with air, and then before it could be tied and sealed, you let it go and all the gas is let out of it and its left as a piece of rubber on the floor. This type of deed could be something as great as the hijrah, but if done without sincerity it will not be rewarded in the hearafter.

Alhumdulillah the kids got it!

I love my Saturday school kids, and I pray that I am able to continue teaching for years to come.