Thursday, March 23, 2006

A small price to pay...


What are you looking at you might ask? Well a little bit of spittle on my shirt is a small price to pay to be able to dance with my Maryam.

It seems as though i have been designated the cry doctor for my Maryam.

She tends to stay up from like 3 in the morning crying and her caretakers sometimes will just bring her next to the sofa im sleeping on in the living room and wake me up. This again happened today.

Apparently Maryam had been restless and crying since waay early in the morning and around 10AM my brother's mother in law just brought her down in her carrier and sat her next to my head. I woke up, put on my contacts and began to interview the patient.

"How long has she been crying?"
"Since 5"
"Is she crying with her eyes open or her eyes closed?"
"Both"
"Ok...I know what she needs"

At this point the amatuers took a step back as I cracked my knuckles and picked up the little squirt (Yams is what I have tagged her). Thats when I started to try various methods to quiet her down.

I started with the classic baby bounce "Kyu rorey Maryam?? Kya huwa? Kon Satay?" (Why are you crying Maryam? What happened? Who bothered you?")

She was non responsive and her crying persisted.

"Has she been fed?"
"Yes"

Hmm...at this point I am almost dumfounded as to why she is crying.

But it was time.

Time to bust out the secret weapon. A weapon so powerful it can not only stop the crying and ease Ms Cranky Pants, but actually reverse her mood putting her in a playful mood laughing and chillin.

Its da Maryam Dance.

Its more a song than a dance, but at any rate, I took Maryam away from my chest and my shirt which she had just soiled, held her in my arms and called her name. Upon hearing her name she kinda peaked at me, and I started the procedure.

"badoom badoom badoom badoom badoom..Maryaaaaaam badoom badoom badoom badoom badoom"

This stanza is repeated as I do the harlem shake-ish bobble head maneuver, gently moving her around with the rhythm.

Today I had to do it for longer than usual to pipe her down, but as I finished the soothing rhythmic routine, and stopped moving and was just singing the badoom badoom's, her hand was still moving to my song. It was amazing.

My niece has my sense of rhythm!!!