Monday, March 06, 2006

Random Reflections...

Salaamu alaykum guys,

Its been a while no doubt since ive posted, but its because ive been reflecting on a paper i was going to write on the ills of the misuse of AIM, and how it effects muslimeen practicing or otherwise. The paper will be coming soon insha Allah, but until then I will fill you guys in with what has been swimming around in my mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


1. Complexity of Creation, Simplicity of Being

  • As I progress through my biology courses I learn more and more how complex our creation is. Our cells contain intricaces which can not be mimicked even by our present day technologically advanced society, and this is just a PART of a cell! How can you possibly be athiest after having even the slightest knowledge of our creation?
  • This rumination stemmed from my reflection on how our daily lives are dictated by urges and desires. Our body has an urge to use the restroom; do you think that we would possibly take time out of our day if it was optional to relieve ourselves? Definitely not, yet Allah instills this urge in us so that we can survive. Same goes for everything we do, including procreating. Allah swt has given us the desire to get married and procreate, and this pleasure leads to the biggest responsibility that any one of us could have: having a child. The responsibilities that one has after having a child are responsibilities that we would in no way desire to have, unless this was induced by our desire to procreate. I look around, and I see nothing but people having children out of wedlock and these young girls (usually by themselves) have a huge burden on their shoulders because they decided to follow their desires without weighing the benefits and drawbacks of following their urges. How amazing a balance we have as human beings between our desires and our intellect, and how thin a line it is we must traverse daily. "And for those who fear standing before their Lord, wa guard their selves (nafs) from following baseless vain desires, for them are gardens everlasting" - al Quran.

2. Sense of smell and its connection to our emotions

  • I remember how when I put on just a little bit of a scented oil, and sat next to my then 2 week old niece, she immediately turned and looked towards me. Then as I got up and walked away Mar'yam (yes that is now the OFFICIAL spelling) began to cry. This made me remember my own connection between smell and people.
  • My nani (may Allah preserve her) is here as yet another helper for my sis-in-law and her new child. My nani (and I guess that everyone else's nani) has this particular smell that when I smell her it takes me to a sense of almost felicitiy. She usually stays in my room when she comes to visit and when she leaves she leaves her beautiful smell behind. Last time she left I remember sleeping on my pillow where she also had laid her head, and the smell made me cry because she had gone.

Thats all for now, feel free to pick my brain.