Wednesday, January 04, 2006

M.I.A.

sooooooo I was in Houston for the last 2 weeks at my cuzzins wedding. I just want to say that I am extremely grateful to my parents for moving to Maryland and not anywhere else. Its as if the more Muslims there are the less organized they are, and Houston is the best example of that.

Everywhere you turn you see someone brown, yet you have to go searching for people practicing the deen on the level they are on the east coast. On top of that, the ones that are practicing the deen are referred to as Wahhabi by those not practicing.

I'm like, wahhabi? That kneegrow is a hard core hanafi and your calling him Wahhabi because he has established the Islam as his deen? Do you even know what you mean when you say Wahhabi or are you spewing jargon out of your mouth that has been fed to you by the media?

Enough venting about Houston, let me vent about the wedding.

Ok, now this was my first cuzzins wedding, the oldest of all the second generation after my sis my bro and I. Not to give too many details as to commit gheeba, but apparently the guy's fam faked hardcore about themselves putting on a front to my khala like they were a good family, and then as the wedding got close their true colors came out.

I am not one to think I am better than anybody or that my family is better than anybody, but these people were not the type of people I would even want to consider an acquaintance let alone give my daughter to. The groom's family was extremely homo, fake, and two faced. His friends were drunkards and stripclub going hindus and sikhs who I was this close to getting in a fight with during the reception.

Even though she is just my cuzzin and not my daughter, I felt as though I just married off my sister to a family of people itching to go to hell. I could not believe that my aunt gave away her oldest daughter to a family like that and I told her after the wedding, when she was crying about what she had done, that she need not spend too much time crying about what has happened and that she needs to focus on the 2 daughters she has left making sure that she doesn't make the same mistake again.

I have never been a part of a wedding that I did not want to be at or that I thought was a bad wedding, and I must admit that it was not a pleasant feeling. I gained a lot more love for Allah swt because I realized that the only way you will have any kind of success and happiness in the life is if Allah swt wills it.

Istikhara is the replacement we were given for drawing straws. Can you imagine the tawakkul you would need to have to draw straws? Yunus PBUH drew straws 3 times in a row and all three times it came on him to jump over the ship. That is tawakkul. Allah swt gave us something so much better, we pray that Allah gives us the best and brings it near us, and keeps the worst far away from us. How perfect a dua is that?

Marriage is the biggest test of tawakkul a person will get in their life. You can meet a rishta and they can seem absolutely perfect, but you have no idea what skeletons they have in their closet. You only trust that Allah swt will give you the best, and if you have skeletons in your closet you have little leverage in tawakkul because you yourself have not fulfilled your commitments to Allah swt. How can you expect to deserve a good person if you yourself don't strive to be a better person?

May Allah swt grant my cousin and her husband success in the marriage, and develop their union upon trust, love and commitment...ameen