Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Im not a circus clown...

So people think I have stage fright. No...I do not have stage fright. There is a deep reason why when I am asked by anyone to 'perform' something or to host some type of comedy or entertainment event that I usually defer. Its because I am not a circus clown. Granted, I completely understand if someone asks me to host an event and I am honored to have been considered, But im talkin about when people come up and randomly ask me to entertain them. Thats not what i do. Thats not what i want to be known for. That is an aspect of my personality, not my entire personality.

I hate when someone sees me and is like 'hey your from gandaghee!!' and then they expect me to do something to make them laugh. Do i look like im wearin face paint and big clown shoes! I am not here to entertain you on command!

It really irritates me when people think my entire life revolves around Gandaghee, or Gandaghee II for that matter. As if every waking moment of the day I am thinking of how I am going to make you laugh.

That is not me.

I do not want to be raised on the DOJ as a clown, or as someone who goofed off during their time on earth. I spend my time in things which i hope will be counted as good deeds and thus enter me into the Gardens. Gandaghee was more of an extention of the knowledge that I had gained than the comedy it had. I know I can make people laugh, its something Allah swt has blessed me with walhumdulillah. The task at hand wasnt to make people laugh, but to try and give naseehah to struggling youth about things that they dont want naseehah for. What kid will sit through a movie talking about the proper way to make ruku? Not one! But they did in gandaghee. Who wants to hear about gender relations, sufi vs salafi fights, Aamina Wadud and her like, and unity of a muslim nation? Nobody, but Gandaghee II insha Allah is going to have all that AND some.

So next time you see me, or any muslim who might have some type of Islamic Entertainment out, give them salaams and ask how they are, and make dua for them. Dont run up to them asking for an autograph.

I am nobody. I struggle like everyone else.

My little cuzzin asked me how it felt to be a muslim celebrity. I was like, celebrity? He was like 'when we went to Houston that guy recognized you from the movie!'. I answered him with an answer that I hope does not offend you all or gross you out, but I told him that my doodoo still stinks.